A must have mobile app if you are traveling around the New York City is HopStop. This app enables you to get detailed public transit, biking, walking, taxi and hourly car rental directions. The app is not only useful in New York City, it can also be used in over 100 cities in the US, Canada and Europe. The app is free and is compatible with iPhone, iPad, Windows, Android, and Blackberry.
If you use the HopStop app when you are biking, you can find out how many calories you burn on each route and how many carbon emissions you save compared to driving. It’s packed with many more features and has recently been updated.
The popularity of the app has got it named as one of 25 Essential Apps for Travelers by TIME magazine and was also one of the 50 Best iPhone Apps in 2011.
- Get directions from your current location
- View a scrollable, zoom-able NYC subway map even when offline
- Map a location and see nearby subway and bus stops
- Estimate travel time and cost for a taxi
- Save recent searches and favorite trips in MyTrips
- See wheelchair accessible and stroller friendly routes
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, Windows, Android, Blackberry
- The app is free